A A A drukuj

Living in Poland and Cracow

The living expences in Poland are much lower then in most EU countries. The cost of living varies considerably between the cities and the rural areas, with Warsaw being the most expensive location.

Legalizing your stay
EU/EEA citizens

UE and EEA citizens do not need a visa to stay in Poland. After no longer than 91 days of stay they need to visit local Voivodship Office and register. The applicant must prove that he's subject to a public healthcare insurance, and has enough money to cover the cost of stay in Poland.

Non- EU/EEA citizens
Non EU and EEA citizens must apply for a long term visa in their local Polish consulate. The certificate of enrollment is required. The visa is valid for no longer than 12 months and must be revalidated in a local Voivodship Office. The visa allows to stay in Poland, and for the first three months also on other Schengen Agreement member countries. It's also possible to apply for a residence permit. In order to acquire the permit, international students must have a valid health insurance policy and enough money to cover the costs of stay and return to the country of origin.
All international students must apply for a temporary residence certificate within 3 days from the date of crossing the Polish border. In order to apply, it's neccesary to visit the local Population Registry Bureau in the Municipal Office.

It's mandatory for international students to have a health insurance in Poland. EU/EEA citizens are allowed to exercise their healthcare rights on a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) basis. Citizens of other countries must buy the commercial insurance policy covering the healthcare costs in their countries, or pay for a voluntary policy in Polish National Healthcare Fund. The policy cost ranges from 36 PLN to 279 PLN monthly, depending on a number of medical procedures included. To get a policy it's neccesary to present the university certificate of enrollment, student ID card, the temporary residence certificate and passport with valid visa or residence permit. More information on www.nfz.gov.pl

Working in Poland
EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of European Union and EEA countries (Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) are eligible to work in Poland without a work permit.

Non-EU/EEA citizens
Non-EU citizens studying in Poland are allowed to work in July, August and September. For the rest of the year a work permit is needed. Acquiri ng a work permit is very unlikely, as it's only granted if no EU citizen is found to fill the vacancy. Formalities must be done by the employer. International students are not allowed to work on a student visa basis.

Citizens of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine
If you're a citizen of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, you may work in Poland without a work permit for 3 months in a period not longer than 6 months. Declaration of employment must be registered by the employer in the local job centre.

More information on www.stydyinpoland.pl